This week brought the surprisingly fun combo of weather camera (morning) and audio technician (afternoon). The day is kept rather busy on this double duty.
1) Weather Camera– film tease, report and credit roll. Try for pretty nature shots.
2) Edit– film tease, report and credit roll. Add weather board from CG. Hand over to VTR.
3) Food break, if lucky.
4) Audio control booth for Sports and Entertainment pre-tapes. Hope that you can see what happens next on the teleprompter’s screen in front of you.
5) Possible secondary food break if the first didn’t happen. Chances are, this one won’t happen either.
6) First show record. Usually a little calmer than pre-tapes, but rolling music, mikes and pretapes all at the same time makes me wish I had a third arm. Also, don’t forget to hit record!
7) Definite 1/2 hour break. It’s 2:30 pm by this point.
8) Final show.
It’s hectic indeed, but so far, a lot of fun! I definitely like weather camera a bit more, but part of that has to do with the time I get to spend with one of my favourite people in the program, Jon Mace. He’s a very cool cat and you should check out his over-night traffic reports on 680 News; trust me, his voice is the perfect definition of dulcet tones.
[Update] Here are the weather reports by Jon and I:
Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2014
Thursday, Feb. 6, 2014
Friday, Feb. 7, 2014